LCCF stands for Low Carbon Cities Framework & Assessment System.
Realizing the importance of measuring performance of cities and townships especially their contribution to CO2 emission levels of the country, the LCCF document was developed to guide the implementation of CO2 reduction measures in cities and townships.
This framework allows for performance of such measures to be quantified and monitored. LCCF help stakeholders/users in cities and townships to define their priorities and develop action plans to reduce their CO2 as it focusses specifically on strategies and measures towards CO2 reduction.
This document was launched by the Prime Minister of Malaysia on 08 September 2011. The aspiration of LCCF is to inspire stakeholders to participate in the mitigation of global warming and climate change through a real time carbon abatement measure.
Diamond Ratings System
The sum of CO2 reduction over the baseline emission awards the development with the corresponding environmental performance achievements according to the ‘diamond’ rating as defined and classified under the LCCF Calculator (as per table above).
The document is divided into 2 components :
- Serve as a guide to users on areas/elements that contribute to the reduction of CO2;
- Consists of 4 key elements, 13 performance criteria and 35 sub-criteria
- Carbon Calculator
- An in built carbon calculator to help users determine their current baseline
- Elements, Performance Criteria and Sub-Criteria of LCCF
LCCF Program has 4 key stages :
- Awareness – this stage is where pitching session is done to local councils to get buy-ins as well as comprehension of LCCF.
- Pre-Assessment – local councils are required to fill up online application as well as LCCF Checklist document to gauge the readiness and understanding of local councils on LCCF.
- Provisional Certificate – a project brief is developed to facilitate local councils to conduct data collection to establish a baseline report of carbon emission at respective area. At the end of the stage, a Provisional Certificate is issued and a comprehensive action plan is developed for the next stage.
- Diamond Ratings (Actual Certification) – a project action plan is developed during this stage which is to be implemented and integrated by local councils to achieve carbon reduction compared to its baseline. Local councils will submit new data for re-assessment. At the end of this stage, local councils will be awarded with corresponding Diamond Ratings based on percentage of reduction achieved.
HOW LCCF WORKS
A). Process Flow
The overall process flow diagram for the commencement, implementation and monitoring of Green Township Program is as follows:
LCCF Checklist Phase
Baseline Study Phase
3. LCCF TOOLS
LCCFTrack is an online carbon assessment system for Low Carbon Cities/ Zones which was designed to support the implementation of Low Carbon Cities Framework (LCCF) by the Government of Malaysia.
LCCFTrack measures the reduction/ increase of carbon emissions from the actions carried out according to the baseline, based on LCCF methodology via comprehensive online data collection. This measured carbon emission can guide cities in making choice/ decisions towards greener solutions.